I’m currently having a love affair with low-carb cooking and I must say, I’m enjoying it quite a lot.
I have never been an advocate of cutting all carbs from my eating regimen because I know that I simply couldn’t. Believe me, I’ve tried. I have two painful weeks of the keto diet engrained in my mind.
So while I love and will never break up with carbs, I am aware that it’s not healthy to have too much of them. Also, my abs do not agree with all the cake my heart wants to enjoy. Since I started carb-cycling, I’ve managed to have days when I can enjoy all the carbs I want. But these days are still mixed in between the sadder low-carb days of chicken breasts and broccoli…
So I have been on a quest to find ways in which I could try and enjoy the low-carb days. In this quest, I recruited some of the lessons I learnt through the keto diet. While the overall experience was harrowing, one thing I learnt was how to make great-tasting, low-carb meals. It’s amazing how many great meals you can create using vegetables to replace carbs.
It’s that concept that inspired this Low-carb Chicken Alfredo recipe. Using a cheese sauce I usually add to my cauliflower bake, I replaced the pasta with carrot and baby marrow (zucchini) and created this amazing low-carb, high-protein meal. And it did not disappoint!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Trans fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Sugar: 3.0g
- Sodium: 203.6mg
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 44.9g
- Cholesterol: 124.1mg
- ¼ cup Low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 3Tbsp medium-fat cream cheese ( I used Tomato & Thyme flavoured)
- 2tsp wholewheat flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- Salt & pepper
- 3 chicken breasts
- Herb spices
- Cayenne pepper
- 3 medium baby marrows (zucchini)
- 2 medium carrots
- ¼ red bell pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips
- Season the chicken with herbs, cayenne pepper and salt
- Cover the chicken and put it aside.
- Add coconut oil and garlic to a small pot/skillet
- Cook for 1 minute then add flour and stir
- Add milk and bring to a low simmer
- Add cream cheese and whisk until combined
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted
- Remove from the heat and set aside
- Add coconut oil to a large pan
- Add the marinated chicken pieces to the pan
- Cook the chicken for up to 10 minutes until tender and cooked through
- Add all the vegetables and stir through for about 5 minutes until cooked but still crunchy
- Add the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly
- Serve hot!