I love my boyfriend. I really do. But sometimes he gets me really mad.
And I know what you are thinking: “This an odd way to start a recipe blog,” but hear me out for a second…
When I met him, he knew nothing about cooking. He was so clueless that the simple task of scrambling some eggs was a foreign notion to him. I blamed his extremely sheltered childhood and felt sorry for him. However, I refused to take on the role of a cook in his life so I tasked myself with teaching him how to get by in the kitchen. While I’ve loved the strides he’s made, I’ve quickly noticed that not only is his food edible, he’s somehow managing to surpass my own efforts.
Take for instance this vegetable quesadilla recipe.
I discovered this recipe over a year ago and it has since been a staple in our house. It’s so simple to make and every time I’ve made it, I’ve used either pita or sandwich squares as my base. I mean, look at this insta post:
Beautiful and simple in its execution!
Well, a busy week led him to take over in the kitchen and he decided to take my already fantastic recipe and ‘improve’ it. Can you imagine the gall of this man???
He replaced my sandwich squares with wraps from Anat and turned my pizza into quesadillas. Not only was the meal somehow more filling with less quantity (we only used 1 wrap each instead of the usual 2 sandwich squares), but the wrap tastes just like pastry when warmed up – which I’m IN LOVE with! This small change really gave this meal an amazing makeover that no one asked for but was actually really needed. And his caramelized onions are somehow better than mine.
To be honest, I’m really mad. And I hate myself even more for enjoying each and every bite. Did I mention that he even experimented with replacing the mozzarella cheese with cheddar and the creaminess was annoyingly out of this world (not that I told him that…)
So while I sit here and give him the evil eye in between mouthfuls, make sure that you try this recipe out. And as soon as you start enjoying it (which will be immediately after the first bite), come back and help me be mad at my boyfriend for this utter insolence and joy!
Get the recipe:
- Serves: 2 servings
- Serving size: 2
- Calories: 291.2
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Unsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Trans fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20.1g
- Sugar: 3.0g
- Sodium: 296.7mg
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 17.4g
- Cholesterol: 24.2mg
- 2 large Anat wraps (other variant of wraps could work but these taste like pastry!!)
- 2 cups washed Spinach leaves
- 6 - 10 Green olives, sliced
- 2 pearl onions, sliced / 1 medium onion
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp low sodium Bbq sauce
- Coconut oil
- Add 1 tsp coconut oil to a pan.
- Allow the oil to melt and add the onion slices
- Allow to fry for about 1 minute while continuously tossing
- Add the sugar and fry for 2 - 3 minutes on medium until lightly brown
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Add oil to a pan set over medium heat
- Spread Bbq sauce over 1 half of both wraps
- Put one wrap in the pan
- Immediately add half the spinach, cooled onions, olives and cheese on to the half with the Bbq sauce
- Fold the rest of the wrap over the ingredients
- Allow the wrap to brown (3 - 5 minutes) and then flip it over.
- Wait 3 - 5 minutes until the other side is also brown and then remove from the stove.
- Use a pizza slicer or knife to cut the quesadilla into thirds.
- Follow the same instructions for the other wrap and ENJOY!